Friday, July 9, 2010

Oh My Smock!



I've been flicking through "The Art of Manipulating Fabric" by Colette Wolff drooling over the gorgeous ways of making plain fabric pretty. If you haven't had the pleasure of flicking through this book and you're one of those people that geek out at details on a garment then this book is definitely for you.

There are many things I want to try from this book but none so pretty as Canadian Smocking. Don't get me wrong it looks frightening. It deceptively criss-crosses over itself, there are a whole bunch of dots you have to put onto your fabric before starting and you really do need to concentrate for the first couple of stitches. But that, dear reader, is where it gets a lot less scary. You see once you've conquered the dots (this step took me less than 5 minutes and it didn't matter too much to the end result that it was hand drawn by someone with a short attention span who just wanted to get smocking already) and paid close attention to the first couple of stitches...it all makes sense! You quickly fall into a pattern and wonder why you didn't attempt it ages ago.

I tried it out on a test square of plain cotton fabric so that things didn't go horribly wrong on a piece of fabric that I really couldn't live without. Now I shall let this pretty little skill of mine sit in the back of my mind until I can find a great use for it in a top or tunic.


Below are some progress shots of my very first attempt. This was on 2 centimetre spacing between each row of dots but I may make it slightly smaller next time.




Canadian Smocking, I heart you.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment