Thursday, November 17, 2011

Clutch at my heart


Look! I made a clutch!

Last night I sat down with a thought in my head. Yes. On occasion this does happen. I wished to take some fabric and shape it into a clutch that had some interesting lines on it.

I drew a bunch of designs and ended up settling on this idea as it seemed easy enough to execute as well as interesting enough to be a clutch I would actually use.

I drew up a pattern and made the shape of the body pretty quickly which gave me time to play around with the top foldover part.

I ended up cutting out a bunch of long triangles and putting some fray stopper down the edges of them and sewing them on in a geometric symmetric pattern on the top. It looks a little bit rough when you look up close but I'm ok with that for a first clutch.

Then I sewed that onto the body and voila! I had me a clutch.


I'm still deciding on a closing mechanism. I might grab a magnetic closure seeing as it doesn't have a zipper and needs to stay together quite well. I also should have thought about this before sewing it all together. No matter. I'll make it work.


p.s. sorry about the dodgy pictures I didn't have a lot of daylight to work with.

2 comments:

  1. Just love the pleated and decorated flap. Actually, on reflection, the whole clutch is just fab! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's already made an appearance at a wedding so far. Let's see where else it might find itself out on town.

    ReplyDelete