Sunday, February 19, 2012

Velvet Raindrops Tee


On one of my many wanderings around the internet I came across this picture below of a dress from Modcloth. I loved it so much I decided to attempt it as a T shirt using velvet ribbon.


I started out with a basic Tee shape from my measurements but you could also follow this free pattern for a Kimono Tee. All you'd need to do is cut the pattern down the middle to make front and back pieces.

As you can see I started out by marking my seam allowance in chalk. Then I cut up lengths of velvet ribbon and arranged them on the shirt.


Now for the fun part. I pinned one length of ribbon to the fabric at a time and very carefully handsewed it on. You might notice that it is puckering beneath all the handstitching but these really calm down once you give it a really good iron.


Once it's all handsewed on simply sew up the Tee as normal and voila!


8 comments:

  1. Love this! Cool, effortless, chic. I bet you'll get a lot of wear from this tee.... now, I just might need to do something similar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seriously will get worn a LOT. Also it makes me a little bit proud. Win win.
      I'd love to see what you make from this idea!

      Delete
  2. Really gorgeous! I will have to check out that kimono tee pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah that Kimono Tee pattern is great. It's a good base pattern that you could adjust /colourblock / screen print on it....the list goes on!

      Delete
  3. This is a fabulous idea... I love the feel of velvet and always look admiringly at it in fabric stores, but had no idea how to incorporate it. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely t-shirt. How do you stop the velvet ribbon from fraying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't include it in the blog post.
      I used fray check on all the ends and washed the t shirt as normal.
      After about 10 or so washes it started to fray again so I dabbed some more on.
      To this day it's still worn a lot and still looks great.

      Delete