Friday, March 16, 2012

Colour Block Top


Hey look I finally attempted colour blocking! I can't believe it took me so long, this top was so easy to make!

I started by mapping out my measurements and settled on a square-ish top 55cm x 65cm. I divided the length measurement by 3 and added seam allowance before getting cutting on each of the colours.


I sewed each of the colours together before marking out the neckline.


Then I sewed interfacing around the front and back neckline before sewing the front and back piece together.


So I took this before it all got ironed. It looks much better now I promise.



If I were to make it again I'd definitely make the top 3rd longer than the other two. Even though they're all equal you lose a lot of fabric with the neckline and I think it would look much better having the second third slicing beneath the bust instead of on top of it.

It will definitely get worn though!

13 comments:

  1. Like it the way it is. Very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice colour blocking. I really like the simple line of this top. I've only just discovered your blog and must say your geometric maxi is amazing!!!! The fabric placement is so spot on and you look a knockout in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh me likey! Where is the fabric from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is from my favourite little fabric store in Sydney. Out in a suburb called Liverpool, they have gorgeous stuff there. I didn't realise when I first looked at it that it was actually satin it was so lightweight and it's not cheap and shiny like regular satin. Win!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for all your kind words. It's a really nice top to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I like it a lot! i have the blue and the green, so maybe i'll do something similar. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love it so much, never thought to do this, it's so easy! inspired to make one :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved it and Will try and do it soon! Liked the black this way

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is cool. I really like the colour combinations you've used!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made my version, you can see it here
    http://quepuedohacerconesto.blogspot.com.es/2012/04/camiseta-spring-top-sewalong-2012.html

    You should enter in the contest: spring top sewalong made-by-rae.com!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Firstly this is the first time I've ever seen anyone make anything inspired by something I've posted so I'm very flattered! Also you're version looks great. I'm loving blues and greens together at the moment.

      Delete