Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Emerald Top with a Velvet Bow


So I found myself halfway through sewing a blazer when I had lost all will to keep sewing. Ok, maybe that's a little bit dramatic. I was struggling to make the sleeves talk to the bodice and really felt like I needed to put it to one side and sew something fun and easy. So what better way to do that than to revisit my Lydia Pattern...again.

This time I adjusted it to include a Peter Pan Collar by following this tutorial I found on Pinterest and then adding a velvet bow.

To be honest the best bits of this top evolved from a series of mistakes. Firstly the collar didn't meet up in the middle so I was left with an empty bit of fabric between that looked awkward. Solution - make a tiny rounded fake placket. Then I realised that I had no way to edge this without it looking weird. Solution - fold it over and handsew on a small piece of velvet ribbon over the top. Which is when I decided to add the velvet bow. And so it all worked out in the end.

One bit that didn't work out so well was the length. I had cut it too short (really have I not made this pattern a thousand and one times??). So I ended up sewing on another section of fabric at the bottom in the attempt to solve this. I don't love it but at least it's long enough now!

Oh and let's talk about Peter Pan Collars. I love them. Adore them. Wish I could have one on every one of my tops at the moment. But it took me many a draft to get this thing sitting right. And then I sewed it on. And it was wrong. So I kinda cheated and did a handful of tiny stitches periodically around it so it would sit relatively ok. As you can see it's still warping a little bit but I can live with it.


After reading a great post at Tilly and the Buttons on the cost of sewing I thought I might start sharing the real cost of what I make. I tend to be pretty cheap with my patterns and fabric so I guess I get a little shock when I see how much things can cost other people to make. But I guess part of that is my confidence level in my own sewing. I'm still new. I'm still learning and I feel like buying expensive fabric and notions would be too much pressure.

Cost:
Fabric: 1.5m of jersey - $4.50
Velvet ribbon: 0.5m of Velvet ribbon $1
Total cost: $5.50


Now I have a decision to make. Should I go back to the blazer? Or should I play around with the awesome fabrics I just got shipped from fabric.com? Decisions, Decisions.

9 comments:

  1. Ooh love this top! It's adorable. As a learner I'm the opposite to you, in that I see beautiful fabric, buy it and make expensive mistakes. Usually I can get it to work but not always... Don't imitate what I do though! My mother's the one who does the fixing, while I sit in the corner and think about what I've done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO pretty. Looks great on you, and yeah I can relate to wanting Peter Pan collars on everything. One of those trends you want to stay around forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Your collar is fantastic! The tiny little round part in the middle was a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I love it and it was worth all the grief.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! What a pretty collar on this top! So feminine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so great, I love it...I wish I could sew. I am your newest follower from the Networking Blog Hop! I would love if you would check out my blog and if you like what you see please follow back :)
    Modern Modest Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm your newest follower and co-host of this month's blog hop. Thanks so much for joining in on the fun :) I'm looking forward to getting you know you better!

    I LOVE the velvet bow. It's perfect with the Peter Pan collar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for linking up this fabulous project!!!
    This week’s Linky Party is up!!!! http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/you-inspire-linky-party_28.html
    I hope you will stop by an link up another lovely project..
    Claire x

    ReplyDelete