Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Polka Dot Blouse with a Bow!


My latest sewing adventure was to make myself a top with a bow. I received a vintage Butterick 3403 pattern in the mail at around the same time as seeing this gorgeous version on Cirque Du Bebe's site. Happenstance. The time had come to try just a top for myself.

I cut up all my pieces for a muslin of the pattern only to find that I had to lop giant chunks of fabric off to make it sit nicely. In fact I had to tamper with it so much it seemed easier to simply start again and make my own version of the pattern myself than to change it so much.

So that's exactly what I did. I took out my trusty Lydia pattern from Burdastyle (which I'm kinda just using as a basic sloper/bodice pattern), added some darts, improvised the neckline and hoped for the best. I must add that I also did all this on the actual fabric because I was so sick of staring at plain white cotton after all that mucking about with the muslin.

Now the miraculous part of this whole process is that the top worked out perfectly! It seems that I just have an aversion to following patterns. I'm yet to figure out why this is but in this case I'm not going to think about it too much because I'm stoked at how well this turned out! It looks exactly how it did in my head.


I even added these little plackets on the side of the sleeves which I kinda love. Want a close up?


I guess the only detail that bugs me a little bit is the fact that I didn't have enough continuous fabric to make the bow the length I wanted. I ended up having to add 2 smaller sections on either end which means you can see the seam quite plainly in the bow.


But, honestly, I don't think anyone has every stood this close to me to inspect my clothes. So I think I'll be OK.


The cost of sewing:
Fabric: 1.5 metres cotton x $7/metre = $10.50
Buttons: Pack of 8 = $3
Total: $13.50



Also does anyone else find it hard to take pictures of things when everyone that walks past needs to gawk at you? Seriously can't a girl pose and have close up photos of every possible detail of a top in peace? No? Guess not.


19 comments:

  1. Oh gorgeous top!! Love that bow, and the plackets too. Thanks for the mention hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo I LOVE your top ! Its looks gorgeous on you. Well done :-) xx
    Ps - I love the name of your blog too -it made me laugh !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! And kudos on the pattern mod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to buy some polka dot cotton voile last week, but I wasn't sure what to make with it, so I didn't buy it. Now, seeing your blouse and Cirque du bebe version, I think I should have bought it. I hope is there when I go back for it, because I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so adorable. I loooove polka-dots and have been dying to make a bow blouse like this. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. polka dots and bows are perfect partners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love the top. You've made the fit really good as well. So, let us in on the secret ... where can you buy nice quality fabric for $7 a metre?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! I think this one will get a lot of wear. And Corinne I got the fabric from fabric.com. I got a whole bunch at once so the shipping was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely blouse, great polka dots and they suit the style perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I just found you on the Meet & Tweet and thought I'd check out your blog. Soooo glad I did. I love the fact it's all about your sewing adventures. Love blue, polka dots and bows.

    Pleased to be your newest follower here too.

    Rosie
    http://craftbotics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous blouse. Fits and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely blouse! I sew myself and sometimes its so tricky, I love to mix different sewing patterns together :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely adorable. Well done - you have made the fit just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. I can't find the link to leave a comment, so I'm replying to this one, randomly! Just wanted to say, congrats on a super cute blouse!!! You're being featured on my blog tonight! www.familyeverafterblog.com

      Delete
  15. That's so cute, and it fits wonderfully! I don't think the bow seam will be noticed, unless somebody's face is WAY too close to your chest ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can say with honesty after a year of wearing this top that I've never had anyone look that close. So I'm safe!

      Delete