Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Jersey Peplum Top


Say hello to my new favourite top! It's a little jersey peplum top which is really comfy and will no doubt be worn constantly.

I was a little scared to attempt the peplum top again seeing as I had a bit of a sewing fail with my last one. Although last time I was creating a structured peplum top and had cut the bodice too small. This time I figured if I stuck to something I knew it would probably work out much better and it did!


I started off with my trusty Lydia Pattern (how many times have I used this now? I've lost count!). I measured out the pattern to the marked waistline and added a seam allowance to attach the peplum. I also made it short sleeve by pure guesswork and I love the length of these little sleeves.

I had already worked out the shape of the peplum by plugging my measurements into a circle skirt calculator and measuring a pattern piece out on some paper from my previous attempt. So this time I cut the peplum piece out, pinned it to the top and it all matched up perfectly!


Also this is the first top that I've sewn completely with my overcasting foot. Have I mentioned how in love with my overcasting foot I am? Because I'm in love with it. Really.

There was one tricky bit in making this top. I managed to get 90% of it done really easily and then I came to hem the peplum and hit a mind blank. I had no idea how to hem something curved without it going all wavy on me and I was determined not to be beaten this time.

I ended up scouring the interwebs until I read something really obvious somewhere about making a facing. Why didn't I think of that?? So I went back to my tiny pile of scraps left over from the top and discovered I had just enough fabric for a front and back facing on the peplum. Huzzah!

Cost
Pattern - bought 2 years ago and made a million times already = $3
Fabric - 1 metre of jersey fabric = $7
Total = $10


I love this top so much I'm thinking of making another one in red. I may make a step by step tutorial if you're interested? Let me know!

7 comments:

  1. Interested! This is so cute! I hope you make a tutorial, though I don't have the pattern. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done, I'll try and make the tutorial on the weekend. There are a number of patterns you could base this off or even trace out a jersey top you might already have. You can do it!

      Delete
  2. never thought of jersey for a peplum, it hangs beautifully!

    everyone seems to adore this ever changing lydia... maybe i need to fork over for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! Lydia is definitely my favourite and most used pattern.

      Delete
  3. I'd love a tutorial! I have been wanting to add a peplum to a skirt or dress pattern but have no clue how!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get right on it. It's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. This looks so gorgeous on you! Add my name to the list requesting a tute, but I'll use my version of a Lydia instead!

    ReplyDelete