Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Colourblock Skirt + Tutorial


I've been wanting to make a colourblock skirt for ages and had it on my list of things to make from when I went fabric shopping with a list. It still ticks the box for not being a print but I love the mix of colours.

To be honest this skirt was a long time in the making and I learnt a LOT from the process. Mostly that I'm bad at maths. I drafted the measurements for this skirt weeks ago and sewed up the first version a muslin which had all french seams and tidy topstitching. I was really excited to try it on before installing the zipper but found it was waaay too short for my liking. Also I'd managed to add a zip seam allowance to the back as well as the front (??!!). Because apparently that's how I roll. Zips right down the front of my skirts. Yep. Also I learnt during this process that while french seams are awesome and tidy and should be used on all projects, they should not actually be used on colourblocked skirts. They made the seams bulky so the pleats kinda got all weird. Some awesome people on Twitter tried to encourage me to fix it but I needed to put it aside for a while so I could work on it in the back of my mind.

I came back to the idea about a week ago. This time with improved maths. And more fabric.


I used pinking shears to cut all the pieces of fabric this time around and pressed open each of the seams so it's much lighter. I'm pretty pleased with the result and thought I might share my process for you to make your own.

Here are some diagrams I prepared earlier...

I love the result and it was definitely worth putting it to the side so I wouldn't stab the fabric with my unpicker could redraft it and make it a much better end result.


20 comments:

  1. It looks lovely and it was definitely worth waiting :) What fabric is it, cotton? Is it only me, or the fabric changes colors with different light?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's cotton poplin. I think the colour change has to do with my dodgy photography skills.

      Delete
  2. Looks great. I've not tried making my own pattern before, but this looks completely do-able. Look forward to trying this out the next time I can across some suitable fabric.

    Thanks for sharing!

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Yeah it's a great little project to try. I'm sure I'll be taking these awesome (and functional) maths skills and applying the same measurements to make a different version of this skirt. I'd love to see yours if you make one.

      Delete
  3. At first I thought you were posting a pic of a rtw skirt that you used as inspiration. Then realised it was the real thing! It looks that good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shucks! Thanks for the compliment. I love this skirt already.

      Delete
  4. Great skirt!!!!! and great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful project! I am quite impressed with the professional appearance of your finished skirt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was worth all the effort in the end.

      Delete
  6. great skirt! And a good example of colourblocking (unlike the dress pattern today).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Agreed, that pattern had some weird colourblocking going on today. I'll stick to this stuff that actually works.

      Delete
  7. What a great idea! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great skirt and the instructions are really good.
    You have a good eye for style and colour.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I can't wait to wear it on my holiday.

      Delete
  9. It was gear to meet you yesterday and that is a cute skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was great to meet you! Thanks for popping by.

      Delete
  10. Hi Jodie, great work and looks cute! You are very productiv and doing so well!
    Was nice meeting you after having explored and read your blog a couple of times.
    Take care and keep up the good work.
    PS I have put a couple of not shaky photos from the get together on my blog as well

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute skirt!I tagged your blog for the Liebster award!Have a look if you'd like!
    http://thewardrobe-project.blogspot.gr/2012/12/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete