Sunday, March 10, 2013

Embroidered Tote Bag




My first sewing project when we moved was this embroidered tote. I now commute to work so I have a spare hour each morning and afternoon to and from work on the train. I decided to put that time to good use by trying my hand at some embroidery on this fabric. I figured if I was any good at it I could later sew it up into a tote bag and it worked out!

The inspiration comes from the pin below. I tried to trace it back but got caught in a loop on tumblr so I can't credit them properly.








I started by drawing my picture straight onto the fabric with a lead pencil. I embroidered the clumps of hair first before filling it all in separately with the strands.


And it turned out like this.


6 comments:

  1. I love the simplicity of the image and the effect created with the hair strands is amazing. Great use of your commute time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah it was all about how those hair strands were going to look in the end. I'm quite a fan of using my commute time as "me" time. I'm currently knitting on the train so I'll post some pics of my first knitting projects soon!

      Delete
  2. This is neat. I love the deatail in the hair too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was the whole joy of making this!

      Delete
  3. I love this - it's so fun! Now I wish I knew how to embroider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's actually pretty easy really. It's just best to start when you have no distractions so you can concentrate and get the hang of it.

      Delete