Sunday, August 11, 2013

Plum Ponte Dress


We're starting to get some warmer days now and while that makes me want to wear my summer dresses I'd be fooling myself if I pretended it was warm enough yet. That's why I had to have me a Plum Ponte Dress.

It ticks the boxes for being an easy to wear dress with short sleeves but since it's Ponte it's a bit more snuggly and perfect for stockings/tights.

I had just bought this fabric when up popped Sophie's Lady Skater and I knew I wanted to make something similar. I made up a Frankenpattern from my Peplum top (pattern below) and Simplicity 2444.


I started by cutting out the front and back top pieces from the Peplum Top Pattern as well as the sleeves. Then I took out my Simplicity 2444 front skirt piece to play around with.

I knew I wanted to have 4 pleats in total instead of the usual 6 and I knew I had to somehow work out how to make it the right size to fit over my hips taking into account the stretchiness of the Ponte. So I folded the pleats over on the pattern piece and lined up my Peplum piece to see if it was going to be wide enough to skim over my hips. It wasn't quite as wide as my Peplum piece but I know how full skirted Simplicity 2444 was and I was OK with a slightly slimmer silhouette, particularly when this fabric drapes a lot more.

I folded just one pleat over on the pattern piece before cutting so I'd only have 2 pleats per side (which I cut on the fold by the way). The back skirt piece is just the peplum piece extended to the length of the newly created skirt front piece.


It was such a simple sewing project once I'd figured that all out because I could just overlock all the seams. Plus no need for a zip - huzzah! And I love how the pleats fall with this fabric.


So let's talk about the neckline binding. I found this tutorial of Megan Neilsen's on binding a knit neckline and it is freakin genius! It does require an overlocker but it's so simple and neat and I will be binding all of my knit necklines like this forever more!

For the hem on the skirt and the sleeves I simply turned them over and straight stitched them on a longer stitch. Really should look into a coverstitch machine at some point in my life.


I've already worn this out to a daytime party and I can foresee it filling a gap in my wardrobe as Spring kicks in. It really can be time for dresses now!

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful dress, love the colour and sounds perfect for the days we have been having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Yeah I think it will be go-to dress until the weather really heats up.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty dress! I will have to check out that tutorial on how to finish a knit neckline. Love how you frankenpatterned it, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you have done a great job here. Particularly loving the whole Frankenpattern thing you have going on!! Such a cool idea - I need to do that a bit more!
    Good choice of colour fabric for your skin tone and hair it compliments you beautifully : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah this was kind of dipping my toe in the water with Frankenpatterning - so to speak.
      I don't know why I was so afraid to do it before.
      I'm sure there's a reason why we all love particular features of particular patterns and combining them in ways that work for our figures has got to be a win-win situation.
      Bring on the Frankpenpatterns I say!

      Delete
  4. Very nice dress, just right for in between weather. Love the colour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it will get me through until I can burst out the summer clothes.

      Delete
  5. This looks so lovely on you! Great work with the Frankenpattern and such a lovely colour :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Frankenpatterns are my new favourite thing - already.

      Delete
  6. A very pretty dress https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the deep colour of the purple, the brown belt complements it perfectly. Thanks for the link to the neckline binding tutorial, while I'm not a fan of Megan Neilson patterns that tutorial is helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I'm the same. The Briar is really not for me but that tutorial is gold.

      Delete