Saturday, April 26, 2014

Black Knit Winter Dress


It's time for warm, snuggly dresses! I made these two ponte dresses last year here and here and wore them to death through winter with stockings and through the colder days in summer. In fact the geometric ponte dress is so pilled now I can only really wear it around the house. Note to self Fabric.com ponte pills like mad.

I had a fabric trip the other week where I bought a few pieces of fabric for some winter pieces, honeymoon clothing pieces and swimwear in mind. I also bought my wedding dress fabric too - more on that later! So this fabric I picked up from a shop in Cabramatta that sells designer remnants. Once I'd picked up one great piece of fabric and left it at the counter the guy kind of hovered around me telling me which designers they get remnants from and offering me discounts on basically anything I picked up. I like this fabric store! In case any of the Sydney Spoolettes are wondering it's called Van Hung and it's the store closest to where we had lunch on one of our meet ups.

This fabric is dreamy. It's a really thick jersey almost the thickness of ponte but the drape is gorgeous. I'm pretty sure it has some silk content too because it was a slip and slide under the needle. Basically it's perfect for a winter dress. It was about 1.5 metres for $17 - score! Which meant I had enough fabric (just) to make it a three-quarter sleeve length.


I made this dress with the same pattern mashup as I did for my ponte dresses using Simplicity 2444's skirt piece because I love the pleats. Seriously this pattern just keeps on giving. Last time I used the two most central pleats and folded the other one out. This time I forgot which pleats I'd used originally so I used the two most outer pleats of the three. Note to self: I have a blog for this kind of thing!

So you might notice I have this roll of fabric where I folded out the pleat which looks a bit weird from this close up but doesn't look to bad from far away. Those people that make patterns, they sure know what they're doing. I wish I had the ability to follow them all the time!


I used my usual neck binding method which I found on a Megan Neilsen tutorial because I love the clean finish it gives. I also added elastic to the waist so it wouldn't stretch out over time. I noticed on my last ponte dresses that they shrunk after a while and the waistline got higher and higher. I think this is partly to do with washing but not tumble drying the fabric before making those dresses. This time I washed and tumble dried this fabric so I could wear it longer. I also made the waistline hit my belly button rather than my natural waist which is a couple of centimetres higher. Hopefully all of these factors will mean that the waistline stays around my waist forever more.


I've actually got a backlog of knit items to put up on the blog which were accumulating in a pile in my sewing room waiting for hems. I was determined to hem them all using a twin needle but my machine and I are still fighting it out over the twin needle. I got so frustrated I ended up straight stitching all my hems. It's a bummer because the stitching will eventually pop but hopefully if I keep systematically trying my twin needle I'll work things out between us and I can hem ALL the knits!


For now I'm excited to have a snuggly dress for this cold weather that's creeping up on us!


15 comments:

  1. Pretty fabulous!! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it will become my favourite thing to wear in winter.

      Delete
  2. I love knit dresses...I'm thinking of making myself a Lady Skater Dress for winter (and the Coco that I've got the pattern for....but haven't yet made)! The fabric is great - I'm yet to get back to Cabramatta but SOON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you can't go wrong with the lady skater or the Coco especially in ponte! I liked going back to Cabramatta a couple of weeks later because I could see which stores are continually getting new stock and which ones had all the same things. This is helpful in my mission to buy ALL the fabric!

      Delete
  3. Well done Jodie, looks lovely. I will try to venture out west one of these days trying to find the fabric shop you mentioned, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cabramatta is definitely worth a visit. You could easily spend half a day there even though there's only about 5 or so stores - there's just SO much fabric in them!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to get cracking on some knit dresses - this is so cute and the fabric is amazing (saw your pic on instagram). I'll have to check out the Megan Nielsen tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knit dresses are the bomb. Here's the link to the tutorial - I probably should have put that in the post - oops! http://blog.megannielsen.com/2013/02/briar-sewalong-neckline-binding/

      Delete
  5. Perfect winter dress! Your backyard is looking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The backyard is slowly coming along. Still lots of patches of clover but we're winning and half the yard is turfed now - exciting times!

      Delete
  6. I love a long sleeve dress in winter! I made a couple in pure wool ponte knits this year and LIVED in them. You should check out the Jaywalk Tessuti comp if you haven't already. They have a striped jersey to use....at first glimpse I thought you'd made this dress in it (although mine arrived yesterday and it is actually quite different, but still cool stripes). I love the diagonal stripiness off your dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about entering that competition - seeing as I love a good knit. I'm terrible with sewalongs and competitions though, my attention span/time management just never gets me finished by the deadline. I look forward to seeing yours though!

      Delete
  7. Yay for sewing! Such an interesting pattern on the fabric, too. I swear, 50% of the time I click onto a sewing blog post, there's mention for Simplicity 2444. All. The. Time. I really need to just buy this pattern I think!
    I'm with Sharon too - your backyard is looking wonderful. All the hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's a good pattern that one!
      Yeah the yard is slowly taking shape, I'll do a post on the before/after when it's closer to finished so you can see how dramatic the changes have been.

      Delete
  8. Great dress, I love the fabric. Even better that it was a bargain too! Maybe the print will help hide dog hair too because black dress and Dalmatian is a bad mix....

    ReplyDelete