Friday, May 2, 2014

Black and White Striped Jersey Top


Four years ago when I first got out my sewing machine I started off with this pattern from Burdastyle called Lydia. It's basically a renfrew and I've lost count of the number of times I've used this pattern. Call me crazy but I found knits really, really intriguing when I first started to sew and it took me ages to actually work with a woven (?!). I just loved how simple and comfortable and stretchy jersey was and it was SO forgiving of my awful sewing skills at the time. In the beginning I straight stitched entire tops like this knowing that they would eventually fall apart. Four years on I'm still wearing those same knit tops (to death) that I made. Granted a couple of them started getting little holes in the seams last winter but it's surprising to me how long they've lasted and how well they still fit me now.

Here's some pics of just two of them when I started to sew. Observe that I really liked ruffles when I started sewing?? Also observe I used to chop my head off in pictures??

Lydia Top with folded ruffle                                                         Lydia top with ruffles

I'm telling and showing you all this because it's often the most boring things we sew that we wear the most. I debated whether to even put this on the blog but I've learnt that one of my favourite parts of reading other people's blogs is seeing how they integrate their new pieces into their existing wardrobe. There's something really wonderful about watching other people develop and grow and make clothes that fit and flatter them. It's great to see the clothes fitting into their wardrobe and lifestyle.

So with that in mind here is my snuggly new top with some of my skirts. This is how it will get worn for a little while before my black skinny jeans become my uniform in winter.

Teal Green Kelly Skirt                                      Plum Skirt - Simplicity 2451                          Blue Hollyburn Skirt      
The fabric was $5 a metre at a store in Cabramatta and is really great jersey. You'd think for that price it might be thin or flimsy but not so. This is the good stuff. 

I'll be making a few more of these kinds of tops before winter really arrives to replace my beloved first makes. Stay tuned for some more boring-but-necessary clothing write ups - coming to you soon!

14 comments:

  1. I love all of the skirts -- and the shirt!

    I like when bloggers show their basics. Sure it's fun to post a statement piece...but you're right, it's interesting to see the other side and see which patterns are go-to's and how those basics integrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I think there's something satisfying in seeing other people's boring makes so that the blogosphere isn't all about the highlights. It makes me realise that we're all just trying to make wearable, comfy clothes rather than outdo each other.

      Delete
  2. I love seeing people's basic makes! The show stoppers are fabulous, but probably not the things we wear everyday, which are inspiring in their own way. Your black and white top looks like a lovely staple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm going to celebrate by wearing it to death.

      Delete
  3. I so agree with you - it's my simplest and most comfortable makes that I wear the most, by far! I also worry a bit about putting yet another Renfrew or Simplicity 2343 up there, but folks seem to like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it also reminds you that that's the kind of thing you should be making and giving you ideas on how to make variations of a basic pattern. I'm still going to put them up. Even just for myself to document my wardrobe.

      Delete
  4. Knits are going to be my new BFF! I was told recently that I should really be sewing knits with a 4 spool overlocker and my clothes won't be as strong as my overlocker only has 3 spools...eep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I have so little idea about overlockers. As I said in this post I straight stitched entire knit tops and they survived 3 years of constant wear so I'm not sure how worried you should be about having one less thread on your overlocker.

      Delete
  5. Love striped tops and this one is perfect. Boring sewing is so necessary I really need to focus on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boring sewing is necessary but also boring. I guess the only thing that gets me excited is being able to pair it with the louder pieces in my wardrobe.

      Delete
  6. I was the same way with knits when I started sewing! Great top :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this top! I also nominated you for a Liebster award! You can check that out on my blog, cause I think your makes are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much I'm going to take a peek at your blog now.

      Delete