Friday, May 30, 2014

Blue Clouds Cambie Dress



I adore the Sewaholic Cambie. I made a Black version here and I wore it SO much over summer. 

The truth about this dress is that it was kind of a sewing fail. I did some mad panic sewing right before Christmas so that I could wear it on Christmas Day. I had about an hour or so of sewing left to do on Christmas Eve and a thought snuck into my head that I should probably try it on. That’s when I discovered that it really, really didn’t fit. The waist was too tight by a couple of centimetres and we all know what happens on Christmas Day right? You go from family to family eating ALL OF THE FOOD. So this dress was just not going to work. 

Because I’m stubborn I put it on my dressform and admired it for months. Note to self - maybe I should use my dressform for things other than hanging sewing fails on? Just a thought. I left it there because I was determined that I’d fit into it at some point. As luck would have it I’ve turned into the cliche bride slimming down for her impending wedding and the dress now fits! I mean I can breathe and move and live in that thing. It’s great!


I was making this dress just after they introduced videos on Instagram and had been pondering how to incorporate sewing a dress bit by bit into my Instagram feed. Since I was sewing this dress consistently over the Christmas Break from work I could sew during daylight and video as I went. It's not great quality because, well, it's an iPhone video on Instagram, but still - I think it's pretty neat. 

A Cambie dress made in 2 minutes? Click below to see for yourself!


So I'm a bit of a rebel and I didn't line this dress. I tend not to line dresses unless they're sheer. Perhaps it takes a little more effort to cover up the insides like I do but that's how I roll. I think this will also go into my honeymoon bag - and by that I mean I'm already packing my me-mades in my head with...oh about 4 months to go!

I have the perfect fabric for a straight-skirted Cambie for my next version but you probably won't see that until summer comes back again. But until then, you know what they say - if the dress fits!


20 comments:

  1. Nothing like a great dress (and a wedding of course) to be incentive to lose weight! Love the fabric, it's perfect for the style and it looks great on you. I only use my dress form for UFOs and not for its proper use either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a great motivator. I'm glad I'm not the only one hanging my UFO's on my dress form. It's kind of like we're punishing ourselves by having them literally on display as we sew!

      Delete
  2. Love it! The video is fab, well done it fits you perfectly. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little video..and a lovely dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady, I do love these kinds of dresses!

      Delete
  4. This is so lovely and I really liked seeing the steps in the video. I have had this pattern in my stash for so long and really should try to make it up this summer. I'm also wondering whether I need to invest in an overlocker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An overlocker might just change your life. My sewing has never been the same. It's just so easy to get a good finish with an overlocker. Thanks for watching the video!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it will get a lot of wear later in the year when it's warm again.

      Delete
  6. Such a pretty dress. I really don't know why i haven't tried the cabbie. How nice that this has been rescued from the fail pile. You should rename it the treats for later pile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treats for later pile - love the way you think! If only all fitting issues and UFO's ended up so happily!

      Delete
  7. Super cute ; ) I love the cloud fabric which suits the style of your dress so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love these clouds. The print gets a bit lost from far away but from close up she's a beauty.

      Delete
  8. This pattern looks great on you! And yeah I have to agree, lining things is a royal pain and often its too hot in Australia, at least where I live, to wear double layers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress looks so great and your video is really cool. Great use of instagram too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm quite obsessed with Instagram so it makes sense to take a whole video.

      Delete
  10. Very cool video!! And the dress is great!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete