Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Blue Ponte Top


A couple of weeks ago I found $10 on the ground. Now I can't justify the buying of new fabric with my current budget but I found FREE MONEY. Add to that I was travelling on the train line that went right past Cabramatta and, well, the rest is history.

I scored this great deep blue ponte for $5 to make myself another long sleeved top for winter. Boring but necessary. My remaining RTW tops for winter are all sporting holes and as I said in a previous post so too are some of my handmade long sleeved tops. So I've been working on replacing some basics in my wardrobe to get me through the cold mountains winter.


Oh, you'd like to see the shoulder accents? Sure thing.

This fabric was pretty nifty in that it had this great light grey colour on the reverse. I had initially wanted to applique some geometric shapes on the shoulders with it but that was proving way too much like hard work. So instead I just made another version of my Faux Leather Accent Top. I did actually cut out a pocket and positioned it on the fabric when I tried it on. The word boobpatch wandered through my head and decided not to leave no matter where I positioned it so the top remains boobpatch-less.


I'm actually not sure how to do a sway back adjustment on a fitted top like this so I live with the bagginess. If anyone has any resources for eliminating this just holler.

This top was made with my trusty Burdastyle Lydia pattern which I've made too many times to count.


Here's a photo of me looking smug in my new top. Hooray for warm, snuggly, functional and FREE clothing!

18 comments:

  1. I love the leather inserts on the shoulders. They make this a really cool top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first one had faux leather, this one just had the other side of the ponte. It's a great way to jazz up an otherwise boring top though. I love the effect.

      Delete
  2. Loods great! To fix the pooling, youd need a centre back seam and take out a wedge of fabric. Easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was afraid someone was going to say. I think I'd rather pooling than a centre back seam. Thanks for letting me know though!

      Delete
  3. That fabric is really great, I love that you used the reverse for contrast! And hurrah for finding money, days like that are rare but it's fab when it happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the reverse was too good not to show off a little!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jodie. Very cute top, love the colour and the fact that it was free. To do a sway back adjustment you have to add a centre back seam. Slash horizontally at the back waist about three quarters of the way across then pinch out a 1.5-2.0 cm overlap at the back waist and smooth out the seam when you add seam allowance. You end up with a curved seam and a slightly shorter centre back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I figured it would require another seam. I'm not sure I'd love the look of it so I'll just keep that in the back of my mind for the next version.

      Delete
  5. LOVE that shoulder patch. Such a cool detail. I don't know this pattern...have to check it out now after seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, simple but enough to stop it from being plain and boring. The Lydia is a great basic knit top - basically a renfrew but by Burda.

      Delete
  6. Great top and perfect price. Love the way you have added the shoulder contrast.

    Valerie is correct however you can do a sway back without a back seam which can still reduce most of the puffiness without adding a seam which I do on all my knit garments. Where the centre back fold dips away at the waist keep your top and bottom edges against the fold. It also depends on how much of a wedge you take out, I do 1.5cm and seeing mh tops are longer than needed I don't bother adding this back to the bottom. Hope this makes sense, if not email me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon I might just take you up on this it sounds great. Next time I make a knit top I'll give this a try.

      Delete
  7. It's finally getting cold so a snugly top is very sensible. And yay for finding some money, sure it's someone else's loss but you've made more of it than they probably would have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when you put it like that it's almost like I did them a favour by making more of the $10 than them. Thanks stranger!

      Delete
  8. Looks cool. Love the contrast shoulders ; )

    ReplyDelete