Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Shoemaking: My first pair of ballet flats made with a kit


I MADE A PAIR OF SHOES! 

The good news is the kit was awesome and I'm so proud of how the final shoes look. My pattern was also a winner and covered up my wide feet nicely.

The bad news is I stuffed up the size of the insole which is one of the first steps and affects every single other step and hence the final fit of the shoes. I have too much to say about the whole process to just have one blog post on it so I've decided that this post will show you all the pretty pictures of the process.

Since I followed the kit to the letter I'm not providing any commentary on the below pictures. If you're curious about making you're own shoes I highly recommend buying it and you can use the below pictures for reference.

I'll write another post which will go into detail about the process. I'll explain what I did wrong with the insole, what I loved about the kit and what I might change next time I make ballet flats. For now enjoy the pictures!




















14 comments:

  1. Love all the photos so you can see it coming together. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Jodie! Looking forward to the "wear" pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are freaking awesome! I have wide feet too and finding shoes are a pain. One day, I would love to give these a try just like you did! I can't wait for your other posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kit was pretty great and easy to follow so it'd be easy for you to try. Glad you're liking these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah maybe I'll wear my second pair. These ones turned out for learning purposes only.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah it's really interesting to see inside the process because I really didn't know a lot about what's involved until I started out. Tugging on leather and wrangling it into place is difficult but the actual process is easy. I have lots to say about it all, stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flipping awesome. Great colour. Looking forward to reading more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wowzers! Go you. I'm looking forward to reading about how comfy they are / photos of you in them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do look pretty cool, I can't wait to have a wearable pair now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, they're not comfy unfortunately, but they look great so that's a plus? I knew this would be a learning curve and it sux to fail on the first pair but I know exactly what I want out of my second pair of shoes now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, I love the colour of the leather. I think I may revisit making the same shoe again after I've made another pair out of fabric first. I'd love to get this leather pair sorted and wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shoe making is something that amazes me and would like to try some day. I can sew and knit, so I can virtually make everything I wear except for shoes, so these posts make me wonder if this could be on my reach one day. One thing I'm curious about, how are these in terms of arch support? Do they give you the option to reinforce that part? My feet hurt without it and it would be sad to spend so much time and effort in something that's not going to get worn.

    ReplyDelete